Thursday, April 7, 2011

Save the Thank you!

I am not sure about you, but I grew up in a house where after every birthday and Christmas (both are the same date for me) I was banished to the kitchen table until I wrote an individual thank you note to each and every person who I recieved a gift from. I would huff and puff and whine and sigh until the last letter of my name was written on the last card.

This type of hospitality was something my mom made me and my sibling do not matter what. I now enstate this in my life as a grown up (Thanks Mom!) including enforcing it on my boyfriend during the holiday season and other special occasions when we have received gifts. He has taken on the role I had when I was a little girl, huffing and puffing and saying "Are we done yet?" and he only has to sign his name to them. Lordy I can't image the day if we get married. I imagine you are seeing where this post is going, those thank you notes for Bridal Shower gifts and those wedding gifts. I've seen the versions that my friends have done and even some of my bride's I've worked with. Personally there is nothing sweeter then to know that your job or friendship is appreciated. I also think that it is a dying art. As a bride, these people took time out of their lives and money out of their wallets to celebrate you and your husband's love and that should be commended. I mean in today's society where everyone is running everywhere and "always too busy" they stopped what they were doing to show you their support.

The newest trend I've seen is to get a postcard made of your picture either from your engagement photo session or your actual wedding.



A great Thank you card option from Photo Cards Design.com



These are great because it is personalized. The negative side of these postcards is that you can preprint your own generic message on the other side, slap a stamp on it, an address and yippie you are done! Come on guys! Take two minutes out of your schedule and write something personalized to your guest. There was nothing more of a turn off when I received one of these postcards from a friend who was thanking me for her wedding gift when I knew that the other 149 of her guests got the same exact thing. Not even an actual signature or anything. Even if it's the generic 99 cent thank you cards from CVS, take time to actually write the thank you note.


Don't do it on your honeymoon either to just get it done!!! You don't want to remember your all exclusive resort honeymoon as the time you got did not get to see the sunset over the ocean because you had to finish the thank yous. Your guests understand and expect not to recieve it the week after the wedding. They know you are busy with other activities on your honeymoon. As long as you are timely (a month after the wedding) you are good to go!


So don't let this little task become a lost art. I know Aunt Beverly would love to hear that you specifically thought of her as you make your morning coffee with the new coffeepot she gifted upon you. Show the people around you that you truely appreciate them. It also does not hurt to send one to your vendors as well ;)

1 comment:

  1. Totally agree with you that thank you notes are absolutely necessary...with some effort :)

    www.featherfactor.com

    ReplyDelete